The Members Legal Assistance Attorney (“Attorney”) is now a full-time position that allows for greater assistance to Tribal Members. The Attorney urges all Tribal members to call with any legal issue they encounter. The Attorney will meet with Tribal members in the Muskegon office with an advanced appointment.

The Attorney cannot appear in court with a Tribal Member or assist with issues that involve the Tribe but can assist with providing legal guidance and drafting of documents, including, but not limited to, the following:

  • Estate Planning. The Attorney can draft Wills, Power of Attorneys, Medical Power of Attorneys, and Trusts.
  • Real Estate. The Attorney can assist with the purchase, sale, or transfer of real estate. The attorney can assist with foreclosures or forfeitures.
  • Landlord-Tenant. The Attorney can assist with evictions or any other issues with a landlord or a tenant.
  • Divorce/Custody/Support. The Attorney can assist if a Tribal Member is involved in a divorce, or has issues with child custody, visitation, or child support.
  • Probate of Estates. The Attorney can assist with probating a deceased’s Will in state or tribal court.
  • Criminal Matters. The Attorney can give legal advice if a Tribal Member is charged with a criminal offense and explain the legal process. This includes juvenile offenses.
  • Civil Matters. The Attorney can give legal advice if a Tribal Member is involved in a civil lawsuit. While the Attorney cannot officially represent the Member in court, the Attorney has been successful at resolving Civil Lawsuits without appearing in court. This includes accusations of abuse or neglect of a child against a parent.
  • Paternity, DNA testing, Birth Certificates. The Attorney can assist Tribal Members in establishing paternity, including the use of DNA testing, and making changes to birth certificates.
  • Guardianships and Conservatorships. The Attorney can assist in obtaining Guardianships and Conservatorships for minors or for persons who are unable to care for themselves.
  • Driver’s Licenses. The Attorney can assist Tribal members who are trying to get their driver’s license restored through the Secretary of State.
  • General Legal Advice. The Attorney can give general legal advice for any type of legal issue that a Tribal Member may have except for issues that involve the Tribe.

Reminder: If you are served with a Summons and Complaint contact the Attorney IMMEDIATELY for assistance.


3031 Domres Road
Manistee, MI 49660

Phone Number (231) 398-2234
Toll-free 1-888-723-8288
Fax Number (231) 398-2244

Office Hours
Monday – Friday: 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Tuesdays & Thursdays working remotely
Advance appointments are highly recommended. Appointments in the Muskegon office by appointment only.