Watershed Initiative Program
EPA Grant – Targeted Watershed Initiative
This grant has allowed the Tribe to study the effects of common restoration practices over a watershed. Research focused on measurable results and alterations in water quality. We will be looking at the response of water chemistry, habitat, macroinvertebrates and fish communities over time.
The Big Manistee watershed is composed of approximately 1,780 square miles in northwest Lower Michigan and contains parts of 12 counties. The Tribe utilizes numerous resources that the watershed provides. A primary problem in the watershed is excessive sediment, which affects fish reproduction, alters channel morphology, and precludes aquatic invertebrates. Currently, the primary source of erosion is degraded streambanks and poorly designed road stream crossings.
For more information go to https://www.epa.gov/owow/watershed/initiative/
Projects undertaken as part of this grant include:
1. Road-Stream Crossing Study: This effort will study the effects from five improved road crossings on water quality.
E. Pine Lake Road and Pine Creek
Huff Road and Pine Creek
Milks Road and Bear Creek
Steinberg Road and Pine Creek
USFS Road 5557 and Sickle Creek
2. Stream Bank Stabilization Study: This effort will study the effects from a minimum of four improved stream banks.
Big Manistee River below Bear Creek
Bear Creek sites 51, 53 and 54
3. Access Improvement Study: This effort will study the effects from three access improvement sites on water quality.
First Creek Nature Trail
Blacksmith Bayou Boat Ramp
A Strong Partnership for Change
Federal, regional and local partners are collaborating to maximize resources and share their expertise in fisheries and watershed management. Partners include:
- U. S. Environmental Protection Agency – https://www.epa.gov/owow/watershed/initiative/
- Conservation Resource Alliance of Northwest Michigan – https://www.rivercare.org/
- U.S. Forest Service – https://www.fs.fed.us/r9/hmnf/
- U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service – https://www.fws.gov/
- Local Watershed Councils
- Muskegon River Watershed Assembly – https://www.mrwa.org/
- Big Manistee River Watershed Summary – https://www.michigan.gov/deq/0,1607,7-135-3313_3682_3714_31581-127697–,00.html
- Grand Valley State University – https://www.gvsu.edu/
- Counties and townships
- Manistee County Road Commission