Anishinaabemowin is the language of the Anishinaabe nation. It is the reflection of the Anishinaabe culture. If a person wants to know the Anishinaabe culture, it is in the language. Anishinaabemowin has existed on this continent since the beginning.
Schedule of Classes
- Tuesdays at 5:30 p.m. at the THP office at the Government Center. This class is open to everyone!
- Nangonhsak after school prevention program
- Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays at Kennedy Elementary School
- Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays at Manistee Middle School
- Classes with Tribal Council on Friday mornings
- Cultural trainings at LRCR on a quarterly basis
- We have produced a very popular interactive language website. This website is also used in schools, universities, colleges, homes and business all over the United States and Canada. Language website: www.anishinaabemdaa.com
- Presentations on Anishinaabe cultural awareness held in the surrounding schools.
- We have produced two interactive language CD’s. The first one is called Ansihinaabemowin and the second is called Anishinaabemdaa. These CD’s are being used in schools, universities and colleges in the great lakes area. Two complementary language CD’s per household for Little River Band members, even if you are a college student not living at home. Orders accepted at 231-398-6891.
- We offer trainings for departments on cultural awareness, our true history and our sacred language.
- We have produced language videos and DVD’s and will continue to produce more.
- We offer workshops on natural medicines, ceremonies, medicine wheel teachings and other teachings.
- We organize a language/culture camp every year. It has become the second largest language conference in the great lakes area. People from all over the United States and Canada attend every year.
- A few elders have kept the embers glowing, a few younger people have brought kindling for the fire and the shared vision is to light the fire of Anishinaabemowin so it can once again glow as the bright and healing fire in the center of the people.